🔎What’s the deal with Thieves Oil ? 🔍
What is it, why do I make and sell it, and why is it worth using?
Thieves Oil, sometimes called, 4 Thieves Oil, is a blend of 5 pure essential oils: Clove, Cinnamon, Lemon, Rosemary & Eucalyptus, and that’s it!
What’s so special about it?
Let’s start with the potential known benefits of Thieves which include: immune boosting properties, promotes respiratory health, relieves nasal and sinus congestion, promotes wound-healing, contains proven anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, which all help prevent illness (and may even provide pain relief) Pretty amazing!
I learned about the incredible health benefits of this oil blend from my dear friend, Ellen, who would gift bottles of it to family and friends during holiday stress & flu season, to help everyone stay healthy and keep their homes scented in ‘holiday aroma’. Then, years ago, she taught me how to make Thieves and we spent a pre-holiday season together in my kitchen, blending and bottling this magic brew. I’m forever grateful to Ellen and her wisewoman ways, thanks darling!
Although the origin story of Thieves varies a little bit from site to site, the general history goes something like this:
During the era of Bubonic Plague in France, it’s said there were 4 brothers (hence ‘4 Thieves Oil’) who would pilfer the pockets of the dead and rob from the homes of the infected, but they never contracted the deadly Black Death themselves. They were protected by rubbing a combination of clove, lemon, eucalyptus, rosemary and cinnamon oils over their clothes, skin and handkerchief and remained healthy! Their freedom from punishment was granted in exchange for giving the king the recipe.
So, there you have it, Thieves oil really works! I’ve been making it for years now, ever since Ellen came to my kitchen all those years ago and taught me how to blend this uniquely 100% natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial magic potion. If you blend your own, always dilute it. I make mine with a dilution of water and jojoba carrier oil (which has the added benefit of hand moisturizing)
Here are the many ways you can use it:
- Natural Hand Sanitizer a healthier alternative to the toxic chemicals and drying qualities of name brand sanitizers
- Room diffuser –smells nice and purifies the air
- Disinfect your cell phone – spray Thieves on a damp cloth and wipe phone & your glasses too while you’re at it
- Kitchen Spray– especially good for your sponge or dishcloth. Clean counter tops, drawer/cupboard pulls, doorknobs, fridge handle and any other high-use surfaces in your home
- Chest Rub for upper respiratory de-congestion
- Air Travel -bring on the plane, spray on hands every few hours
- Steam Inhalation -put a few drops in a pot of boiling water on the stove, lean over with eyes closed, holding a towel over your head for maximum steam inhalation
- Aromatherapy -boil water & several drops of the oil blend on the stovetop -whole house will smell warm and homey
Thieves Oil has changed the way I travel, clean, sanitize, heal and move in the world, and so many friends and family now can’t live without it either! Eventually, friends and students began encouraging me to make it more available, which is why I started selling it on my website a couple years ago. I keep a bottle of it my purse, car and kitchen.
Note: My thieves oil blend is not a food-grade product and I would never advise oral ingestion of any essential oil without doing the proper research.
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook where I post helpful videos and self-coaching tips for a thriving life!